Bio Diesel refers to non- petroleum based diesel fuel consisting short chain alkyl esters made by refinery process called TRANSESTERIFICATION of vegetable oils such as soyabean oil, which can be used alone, or blended with conventional petrol diesel in unmodified diesel engine vehicles.
It is a name of a clean burning alternative fuel produced from domestic, renewable resources. It contains no petroleum, but it can be blended at any level with petroleum diesel to create a biodiesel blend. It can be used in compression ignition (diesel) engines with little or no modifications .It is easy, simple, and essentially free from sulphur and aromatics.
This is an alternative fuel to the already existing fuel petrol. The entire world surface transport is based on petroleum fuel, but its availability is of great concern. There is a growing concern that the world may run out off petroleum based fuel resources. All this makes it imperative that the search for alternative fuels is taken in right direction.
Below are reasons what the need of alternative fuel like bio diesel is important:-
1. It is made from renewable resources , which makes it less harmful
2. It results in substantial reduction of unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide and particulate matters which are harmful to human body.
3. Air quality concern have increased the importance of alternative fuels and advanced transportation technologies like electric vehicles.
4. By increasing alternative fuels use, consumers have choices, broaden the supply and have lower environmental impacts.
5. Lower emission of biodiesel makes it ideal fuel for use in marine area, nature parks & forest and heavily polluted cities.
6. Bio diesel fuel is 11% oxygen by measure and contains no sulphur. It extends the life of diesel engine because it’s more lubricating than petroleum diesel fuel.
In addition to the above, there are some economic benefits of bio diesel:
1. Manufacturing of bio diesel has strongly affected the Macro economics that are associated with domestically produced renewable energy resources like Soya bean oil.
2. Bio diesel increased demand for soyabean oil causing processors to pay more for soyabean, which finally results in receiving high value by the farmers for supplying Soya bean.
Last, but not the least here are the environmental benefits of using bio diesel.
1. Substantial reduction in hydrocarbon emission
2. Exhaust emission of sulphur oxide and sulfates (major components of acid rain) from bio diesel were essentially eliminated
3. Breathing particulate has been shown to be human health hazards. Reduced emissions of particulate matters from bio diesel were 30 %lower.
4. Bio diesel fuel is non toxic
5. Its non-irritable to skin
6. It provides four times faster ignition to vehicle than petroleum diesel.